Making Precious Metals More Precious
Transforming Light by Nanostructured Materials
Making Ordinary Materials Extraordinary
Our research focuses on controlling materials at the 100-nanometer scale and investigating their size and shape-dependent properties. We have developed massively parallel, multi-scale patterning tools to generate hierarchical, anisotropic, and 3D hard and soft materials with applications in imaging, sensing, wetting, and cancer therapeutics.
The tailored spatial polarization of coherent light beams is important for applications ranging from microscopy to biophysics to quantum optics. Miniaturized light sources are needed for integrated, on-chip photonic devices with desired vector beams; however, this...
Recent News | Visit News Archive
- March 2021: Emma’s article, “Light-Mediated Directed Placement of Different DNA Sequences on Single Gold Nanoparticles,” has been published in JACS.
- January 2021: Danqing has been featured in the Miller Fellow Focus article “Structuring Nanomaterials for Optics” by the Miller Institute.
- January 2021: Jeong-Eun has been highlighted in the “Nanotechnology at Northwestern” feature by the International Institute for Nanotechnology.
- January 2021: Shikai’s article, “Plasmonic Photoelectrocatalysis in Copper–Platinum Core–Shell Nanoparticle Lattices,” has been published in Nano Letters.
- December 2020: Shikai has been highlighted in the “Nanotechnology at Northwestern” feature by the International Institute for Nanotechnology.
- December 2020: Dongjoon’s article, “Soft Skin Layers for Reconfigurable and Programmable Nanowrinkles,” has been published in Nanoscale.
- December 2020: Danqing Wang was named Forbes 30 Under 30 in the category of Science for 2021.
- November 2020: Max (Jin Hui) Tan received the Hierarchical Materials Cluster Program (HMCP) Fellowship by The Graduate School at Northwestern University.
- November 2020: Jingtian’s article, “Single-Nanoparticle Orientation Sensing by Deep Learning,” has been published in ACS.
- November 2020: Jun Guan received the 2020 Outstanding Researcher Award sponsored by the International Institute for Nanotechnology at Northwestern University.